This privacy notice is for visitors to our websites, apps and other digital platforms. It sets out how we use personal data that we hold about you and gives information on how to exercise your legal rights. In this notice ‘we’ and ‘our’ means London Tamil Media and its subsidiaries which operates this platform.
What data do we process about our visitors?
If you register for an account on our website in order to comment on an article, enter a competition or receive selected newsletters, or to use our services,you will need to provide us with your full name, email address, year of birth and postcode.
If you are subscribing to one of our paid-for subscription products, in addition to your name, email address and year of birth, you will also need to provide your billing address and payment card information.
If you contact our Customer Services team, we will need your name and contact information as well as full details of your query.
Sometimes we obtain additional information about you from third parties. At present, we receive information from the following reputable suppliers: Google ads, parsely, Alexa Analytics, Google Analytics and Double Click Ads.
The data these companies might hold about you is collected from publicly available records, such as the electoral roll, or from other sources where you have agreed for your information to be shared with third parties.
We may check our database of registered users against the information they hold on their systems to see if there are any matched individuals. If there is a match, we can collect and store some of this additional information (which may include statements about your lifestyle and interests) in our database and use it to further enhance our understanding of the types of products and services you might be interested in.
We may also match your cookie data with this third party data, and use this to gain a better insight into your interests or to build a profile about you.
We can also access information from social media activity such as when you ‘like’ the website, share content or follow us on Twitter. When you sign in to the website using social media you grant permission to the social network to share some of your details with us. Depending on the network this will include basic account information such as name, email address, date of birth and any other details you choose to share according to your particular social media account settings.
What do we use this data for?
- Verifying your identity (for example when you return to the website and have already logged in)
- Personalising the advertising you see on the website so that it is more relevant to you.
- Improving the design and style of the website
- Informing you about products, services or promotional offers that you might find interesting if you have chosen to receive these type of communications.
- Sending you service messages about your subscription or account registration, for example if you have clicked a password reset link.
- Dealing with, and responding to you about, a comment you have submitted for or on our message boards, blogs and other such user generated content facilities
- Enabling you to share our content with others using social media or email
- Communicating (and personalising such communication) with you through our newsletters, but only those you have consented to receive.
- Administering competitions and informing you if you have been successful in any competitions or promotions
- Compiling customer reviews
- Conducting market research
- Sending a product to your home address
- Granting you access to a subscription
- Dealing with any query or complaint you submit to our customer services team. Only provide sensitive data (such as information about your health, race or religion) if you are happy to consent to our using it to manage your enquiry
- Sending you push notifications from our apps
We also log and use information about any service errors or interruptions that you have experienced in order to help us create fixes and to make technical improvements to our Website